Friday, September 4, 2015

Strikes My Fancy Friday #2

It's Friday! And a Friday of a 3-day weekend, no less! I'm working at the olive oil shop tomorrow and then headed down (farther) south to Atlanta for some Labor Day weekend action! I know I've only been in class for ~2 weeks, but I'm pretty darn excited for a long weekend.

Without futher ado, let's check out some things that have been striking my fancy lately, shall we?

Have you heard?! It's Labor Day weekend! Also known as the last unofficial weekend of summer. While I'm chomping at the bit to welcome allthepumpkin and boots and scarves and crisp air and fall running into my life, I think we should all stop and smell the rose (ahem roses*) one last time this weekend. And if you can get your hands on it, this rose is a stellar choice. Plus, what a cool bottle!

I went to a Saturday run club at Sycamore Brewing last weekend. And by run club I mean yours truly plodding alongside an old man who was breathing so heavily the whole time I thought he might keel over. While the 6-mile loop felt very long *for many reasons*, this watermelon waiting at the brewery at the end made it all worthwhile.

The kitchen space at the back of the olive oil shop is newly occupied by a chocolatier. When a batch comes out with any imperfections... they can't sell them. LUCKY FOR ME, I've befriended the chef and sometimes get the "ugly ducklings." Alongside a cup o' tea it makes my Anatomy & Physiology reading slightly more bearable. 

Oh boy. These were good. I made a stack of Kodiak Pancakes last weekend and sandwiched them with Barney Butter's Cocoa + Coconut Almond Butter. Topped with more coconut, for good measure. 
Last Saturday afternoon, Torsten and I did a little brewery hopping. At some point, nachos were discussed. The craving could not be denied, and thus this cookie sheet of heaven was born. Trader Joe's everything --> corn chips, fresh tomatoes, mashed black beans, salsa, greek yogurt, and reduced guilt guacamole. Delicious and infinitely healthier than what we might have devoured at a restaurant.

I'll leave you with my one non-food related item of the week. I snagged this gorgeous bouquet of flowers from the Charlotte Regional Farmer's Market last weekend for $5. $5! They've cheered my little apartment all week long.
 
Hope you have a delightful long weekend! Wear lots of white and drink lots of rose.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment