Thursday, August 6, 2015

Charlotte: A Night at the {Mint} Museum

I'm on a bit of a grown-up summer break right now before I start full-time classes at Winthrop, and I'm trying to get as much exploring and adventuring around Charlotte done while I still have free time.

Lucky for me, living in a new city makes it pretty easy to explore. Also lucky for me, I have a very willing co-explorer (Hi Torsten!). Unlucky for me, a student budget isn't the most conducive to fancy restaurants, weekend getaways or shopping trips.

That's why I was super excited to see that the Mint Museum Uptown in Charlotte has free admission to their permanent collections from 5-9 pm every Wednesday. And BIG BONUS, they also have buy-one-get-one free wine glasses in the gift shop! Sold.


Torsten and I ventured over to the Mint Museum around 6:30pm and promptly found the BOGO wine. Priorities. There were also free snacks! Be still my heart.


This was my first time to the Mint Museum in Uptown and I loved it! It's mostly contemporary art with some craft/design thrown in and some intriguing looking special exhibits (there is one on Body Art right now).

Me: "Torsten, take my picture with these ones! We match!"
Everyone else in the gallery: "What a dweeb..."
Here were some of my favorites from the collection, if you'd like to see!



I think this would make a good studying desk, don't you? 
This installation is one of 10 commissioned by the Mint Museum in 2010. Trippy!
The night ended as all of my favorite summer evenings do - with this ohsoyummy rose from the Winestore.




2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the grad school budget mentality! Any night that offers a buy one, get one on wine is fabulous in my book! I love modern art and bright colors - so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine/beer/everything is so much cheaper outside of DC! But I'll never turn down BOGO wine. The grad school budget mindset is a tricky one. Definitely still adjusting...

      Delete