Thursday, October 1, 2015

Half-Marathon Training Update!

Hi, I'm Emily. And I'm running another half marathon. I'm signed up for the Thunder Road Half Marathon in Charlotte on November 14th!

That makes the race approximately 6 weeks from today which means that I'm halfway through my training! I guess it's time I give you an update, eh?

This will be my 8th half-marathon and thus far my training has ranged everywhere from nonexistent (for my first half-marathon the farthest I'd ever run was 6 miles... do not recommend) to religiously following Hal Higdon's Novice Half-Marathon Training Plan. Love Hal!

For this upcoming half-marathon I wanted to spice it up a little bit and decided to add some speed work into the mix. I [mistakenly] thought that speed work would be filled with sunshine and rainbows. Ha! I bumped myself up to good old Hal's Intermediate Program and Hal isn't messing around with this one.

So without further ado... A glimpse into the first 6 weeks of training [and trying to run fast] for this half-marathon:

The first week of training! I discovered a new track for my first speed workout. Mindset: I've got this!

Third week of training: Found a pretty park near Winthrop's campus for a morning run. Mindset: this isn't too bad!

Fourth week of training: It's mid-September. Mindset: WHY IS IT STILL SO HOT OUT.

Fifth week of training: Beautiful 7 mile run to Freedom Park. Mindset: It's Fall! I love Fall running!

Sixth week of training: Oh hello, treadmill. Mindset: What is with this rain. Go away rain. This is not Fall running.

So, as you can see, the last 6 weeks have had many ups and downs with running (literally, Charlotte is quite hilly). I'm still holding out hope that the rain, rain will go away and come again another day. While I still don't look forward to tempo or interval runs, I do feel mighty accomplished when they're over. And variety is the spice of life, right? RIGHT?

Anyone else training for an upcoming race? How's it going in your neck of the woods? (Copyright: Al Roker)

1 comment:

  1. Haha your posts always crack me up. I love Hal's plans...I followed his novice plan for my first 1/2 and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete