Saturday, October 10, 2015

Strikes My Fancy Saturday

Oh hey folks!

Luckily for me, Strikes My Fancy is alliterative with both Friday and Saturday so when I'm a delinquent blogger I can still ensure that the series lives on!

Next week is midterms at Winthrop/NOVA Community College and I have 4 tests and 2 quizzes between now and Thursday morning. Doesn't that sound like a riotous good time? Between school work, the incessant rain and a cold that has really made itself at home, I don't have any earth shattering news or favorites to share with you all. 

Despite my tales of woe (which I initially typed as tails of woe - that would look funny!) there have been a few things making me smile this week. Without further ado...


The pumpkin pie latte at Central Coffee in Charlotte! So seasonal, much caffeine.

Showed up to happy hour at the fanciest bar in town (Harris Teeter's bar - $2 wines. And beers! Can't be beat) sporting very similar flannels. No shame here.


I dumpster dived this mirror from outside of my apartment! It weighs approximately 100 pounds. To be clear, I didn't actually enter the dumpster head first. But this was leaning up against the dumpster. Hey, nothing some antibacterial action can't handle!


The sun came out on Tuesday on campus and it was so glorious! After 10 days of gloom, this merited a photo.


Spotted this terrifying Halloween display on my run this week. Startling, no?


I've been volunteering at a farmers market of sorts at the University Hospital on Thursday evenings. It's small but mighty! This week the "roasted nuts" man set up shop and I concocted my own trail mix that has changed my life. He roasts the nuts dry for a longer period of time (no added oils like most roasted nuts) and the only way I can describe them is that they taste remarkably like themselves. So nutty and rich. I combined cashews, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sundried pineapples, bananas and dates. Haven't stopped noshing on it since.

How has your week been? Anything been striking your fancy lately?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doll set up looks like the creepiest thing ever! I forgot that it's Halloween soon and was thinking, wtf?! when I first saw the photo.

    That's awesome that you're volunteering at a farmers market - how fun! I really need to start getting involved in some non-school related things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The farmer's market is perfect because I'm meeting RDs in the area (who put on the market) but it's low-key, fun, and doesn't require too many brain cells for an activity in my spare time... I'm sure there are tons of similar things in Seattle!! I can't get over how pretty your pictures of the campus are.

    ReplyDelete