Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving Dinner For a Tiny Crowd

Happy Thanksgiving Eve my friends!

I'm spending the week at home in Atlanta and it's much easier to do school work when I have a dog cuddled at my feet, a pantry full of snacks and a fireplace around the corner. Am I the only person who gets so excited about access to a new pantry? Probably...

While we're gearing up for the "true" Thanksgiving feast tomorrow, I thought I'd share a mini Thanksgiving feast that Torsten and I concocted last weekend. It's become a bit of a tradition to make a Thanksgiving meal for the two of us before we head home to our respective families, and this year's dinner was particularly yummy (though, I have to warn you, not so photogenic).

If you happen to be cooking for a smaller crowd this Thanksgiving, I highly recommend this menu! Full disclosure, we didn't begin cooking until 6:15pm and we had licked our plates clean by 9pm! That's my kind of feast.

Let me give you the play by play!

6:15pm: Oh geez, it's already so late! We better get started on dinner. But first, wine. This Pinot Noir is a new wine at Trader Joe's (for the low price of $6.99).


6:30pm: No more dilly-dallying! I start chopping the veggies and Torsten takes on the valiant task of cleaning-out the chicken (blech) for Ina Garten's Perfect Roast Chicken (all hail the queen!).

6:45pm: I prep the easiest appetizer in the world: Baked Brie with Honey and Almonds. I toasted some thin baguette slices in the oven for a few minutes to go alongside the brie. I omitted the almonds because I was too hungry to slice them.

7-8pm: The Roast Chicken smell is filling my tiny apartment with Thanksgiving vibes. Brie + wine + old Thanksgiving episodes of Friends and New Girl (of note: A Marathoner's Guide to the Friend's Thanksgiving Episodes).

8pm: "Salad" time! We made Cooking Light's Roasted Balsamic Radicchio with Pancetta and Walnuts. It looks awful, tasted delicious. 


8:30pm: Do the mashed potato! I made the simplest mashed potatoes (I even left the skins on and used a whisk to mash!) with skim milk and a little bit of butter, salt and pepper.

8:45pm: Dinnertime! The best part about Ina's chicken is that you roast the vegetables alongside it. Easy peasy (though, there are no peas in this dish - thank goodness).


9:30pm: Dessert! The cutest sugar cookies from Suarez Bakery in Charlotte. I must say, these tasted like cardboard and I only ate a nibble. Isn't that always the case with pretty sugar cookies??

 So there you have it! Low maintenance Thanksgiving-ish feast for two. With leftovers galore!

I will leave you with this awesome inflatable currently blowing away in my neighborhood. 


Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving filled with good food, family, fresh air and football (alliteration!).

What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving?? (I won't judge if you say pie and not family).


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Emily! I hope you have an amazing time in Atlanta. I am OBSESSED with Le Pepin wine. Their cab/merlot blend is SO GOOD. I'll have to give their pinot noir a try :)

    My favorite part of Thanksgiving is probably mixing the cranberries with the mashed potatoes and gravy :D

    ReplyDelete